This is a single day Adventure Duathlon. Based in a former coal mine you will be running and cycling up to four sections, combining running trail, forest track, hills and an abandoned open cast mine. The cycle sections are on sealed tarmac roads of varying quality, from primary roads to quiet country lanes. With a choice of two different courses there is one for you to pit yourself against.
We are fortunate to have the picturesque Discovery Park as the central transition point for each section of the race. In this way you will always loop back to facilities and supporters who will get to spur you on throughout the race without them having to leave the comfort of the Park.
The Park has a huge range of activities open for any active family members including a massive Zip-wire, tree-top walks, playground and a woodland Cafe!
SPORT COURSE – TOTAL COURSE 56KM
An endurance sapping combination. Don’t be fooled into thinking this is easy on paper. At 56km it is the longest Sport Course in the Country! A good level of fitness it required and completion will be the name of the game for many, especially if it is wet. Your Coalface T-shirt will hang with pride. Full course description available to view here.
CHALLENGE COURSE – 30KM DISTANCE
For those who love the outdoors and have always wanted to test themselves against the natural terrain then this is your opportunity! With a medium level of training (see The CoalFace Training Blog) you could conquer a real challenge across this course that will see you running trails and woodland, cycling a route of rolling north Kilkenny Countryside before finishing with a trail and woodland path run to the finish. Tackle this as a team or solo, have plenty of friends/family enjoy the experience too as all your transitions are in the comforts of the Discovery Park. Wear your medal with pride as you enjoy the post race refreshments! Full course description available to view here.
INDIVIDUAL & TEAM ENTRIES AVAILABLE.
What do I get for my money?
• An exciting, unique, community based event but professionally presented
• All the Discovery Park Facilities for you and family/Friends as well as discounts for on-the-day Park activities check out www.discoverypark.ie
• Free Secure Parking in the Discovery Park (Normally €4 per car)
• High quality Technical Running Top
• A generous Coalface Goody Bag with snacks and drinks
• A Coalface Finishers Medal uniquely designed by visual artist Mick Minogue (@MickMinogueMadeThis)
• Hot food and drink to refuel when you cross the line
• Fully marshalled and signed routes
• Insurance and Accident/Medical Response Team
• Sports Massage available
This is a Not for Profit Community Event. The Castlecomer Discovery Park is a registered Charity. Any funds raised by The Coalface go directly back into the development of the Park.
|07:15 - 14:00||Car Park Open||Coalface Parking|
|07:15 - 09:00||Bike Racking Open||Bike Rack on route to Registration|
|07:30 - 09:00||Registration Open||In the Elf Village 400m from Bike Rack|
|09:20||Challenge Race Brief||Start Line / Elf Village|
|09:30||Challenge Start||Start Line / Elf Village|
|12:00||Bike Rack Reopen||Challenge Competitors only who have Race Bib Number Visible|
|07:15 - 14:00||Car Park Open||Coalface Parking|
|07:15 - 08:45||Bike Racking Open||Bike Rack on route to Registration|
|07:30 - 08:45||Registration Open||In the Elf Village 400m from Bike Rack|
|09:05||SPORT Race Brief||Start Line / Elf Village|
|09:15||SPORT Start||Start Line / Elf Village|
|12:30||Bike Rack Reopen||SPORT Competitors only who have Race Bib Number Visible|
Car Park Open from 07:15
Car Parking Options: Up to 200 spaces for Coalface Competitors will be located 300 metres from the main Discovery Park entrance. Please take care turning into car park road and follow the signs and stewards direction when parking responsibly.
Up to 50 Spaces on Castlecomer ‘s Main Square Parking. This is located roadside before the bridge and again is 300metres from Discovery Park Main Entrance.
The Discovery Park’s main Car Park will accommodate overflow parking where necessary but priority given to Emergency vehicles and other Park businesses.
BIKE RACK TRANSITION: Once you have parked you will be passing through the Bike Racking area on route up to the Registration Dome in the woods.
You WILL be able to get your bike sticker number and rack your bike here BEFORE heading up to the Registration Dome for Sign in, race number bib and timing device.
- All bikes will be checked for road worthiness, brakes and helmets. Carry a spare tube.
- There will be 2 Bike Racking sections Challenge/Sport. Choose the correct one for your race. Please rack your bike in the same spot at all times during your race.
- There are toilets at Registration/Start area.
- There is a bag drop facility at the Registration/Start area.
- There is a coffee shop open for early arrivals at the Registration/Start area.
- There are covered seating here also.
- Prizes for first 3 female and male finishers. Prize giving within 30mins of 3rd place finishing in each race. Prize giving at the “three rock podium” near Start line. Race Director’s decision is final.
- Complimentary Post Race soup and sandwiches served in the Registration Dome.
- The Canopy Cafe will be open at the Start/Finish Line throughout the event.
- Do not Litter. This is a beautiful woodland Park. We leave as we find please.
- Respect the Stewards. They volunteered and are there for your safety.
- The Park’s activities will be open on the day. Check them out on www.discoverypark.ie and respect other park users.
- There are no road closures on the bike routes. Rules of the road apply. Obey the Bike Marshals. They are from Deenside Cycle Club and know what they are doing.
• Once entered no refunds, transfers or credit can be offered for cancellations for the events.
• Mandatory Kit must be worn or carried as appropriate and as specified
• There are no road closures for the cycling routes competitors must follow the road traffic laws
• All competitors must follow the prescribed route
• Obey the Park’s environmental policy. Any competitor found littering by race marshals or fellow competitors can be reported and disqualified
• Respect the local environment and our neighbours. Please adhere to our leave no trace policy.
• The Park will be open to the public on the day so respect all those you meet along the route.
• Assist any persons who are in difficulty and report it to closest race marshall
• Competitor’s should enter the Race that suits their level of fitness
• The Race Director’s decision is final
• Competitors must be over 18yrs
• In the event of inclement weather the organisers have the right to alter the route on the day of the event
Reminder that as a Competitor you undertake The Coalface Adventure Race at your own risk.
Please familiarise yourself with the route maps, race briefing document (issued the week before the race to all registered competitors) and the areas on the route where care must be taken. Please observe warning signs, race stewards advice and listen carefully to the race briefing before the race. Each Race will have its own briefing.
*All routes may be subject to change, statutory approval and license agreements.